Wow… I am so happy with the way this room turned out! I don’t think these pictures do it justice, partly because I took them at night so you don’t get the effect of the natural light, and partly because it is just like standing in the Kingdom of the Sun!!!
I started the wall prep with joint compound and a putty knife, sealing up cracks, gashes and non-smooth surfaces. I let that dry for a day and then sanded the dried compound smooth. I needed two full coats of primer because the room was a very dark barn red color. Here it is, spackled and waiting to be sanded:
I did a lot of spackling because the walls were full of pores. You can see all the little spackle filled pores in this close-up:
Then I sanded and primed the walls white. It took two coats to get rid of the red completely.
Now the fun part!
Here are some of the things I used for lazuring:
The faux glaze is from Home Depot (Behr is a brand specific to Home Depot)- it was $25 plus tax. The brushes are from Lowes, and they are called stippling brushes. They each had some of the characteristics of the lazure brushes I saw for sale online. The one with the long handle was used to apply the color. It was about $20. The second one I used to dry brush (this blends the colors together nicely and eliminates drips)- it was about $10. The Ball jar you see contains the leftovers of my final color veil; I made a larger batch than I needed on purpose so I always have some color for touch up. I’m glad I did; already when I peeled the painting tape from the edges and moldings, I can see some spots I’d like to touch up a little. Finally, I added in essential oils; about 10-15 drops each of sage (for its space-clearing, cleansing properties) and rosewood because I love rosewood.
I experimented a lot with mixing the color veils. I tried to follow the mixing instructions on this blog. The first two color veils consisted of that recipe (eyeballing it, approximately 2 cups of water, 2 cups of glaze, and enough watercolor drops to create the color I wanted).
The first veil (yellow) came out very light. I became a little worried I would have to apply 20 coats to get the color I envisioned!
The second coat was still light, but I began to fall in love with the way the colors wove together… magic!
This is a close-up and you can see in the picture below that it really is very light (see the bottom right hand corner).
For the third coat, I was feeling adventurous. I grabbed some regular latex paint in a mustardy/gold tone I have planned for our master bedroom. I added about 2 cups of water, 2 cups of glaze, and maybe 1 cup of the latex paint and enough yellow Stockmar (and I even put in some yellow craft acrylic paint! Yes I was going crazy, must have been the paint fumes) to make it a very sunshiny yellow. The result was perfect- I finally got the rich color application I wanted:
I wanted to add in a bit more red to balance the yellow, and end up with an orange color that reminds me of a sunrise or sunset. I mixed in a lot of red to the water/glaze/latex recipe. I loved the result!
(Looks a littler darker in the close-up… below, you can see it seems a little lighter, but that is also because it is artificial light).
Here is one side of the finished room…
After I painted, I put together some shelving and storage which we desperately needed, using 18″ x 12″ x 9.5 high” wooden crates (flipped sideways and stacked two tall) from Joann Fabrics. I got them on sale (plus a coupon code!) for $6 each, and used two 8″ wide pine boards side by side to give ample “counter space” for play and display on top of the crates.
I also made a shoe storage space near the door:
I still need to stain/seal the crates and get some rubber matting from the home improvement store, cut it into squares and place them in the bottom of the crates to protect them from mud and water. I will also look for three square baskets to set on top for mittens, hats, etc… and I am hoping I can come up with something like this or this for the wall above!
And I made one last shelving unit, for books… it almost reaches the ceiling!
A few tips…
Use a lot of drop cloths… there will be A LOT OF DROPS! Lazuring is very drippy, and drips can appear after the fact so always look back every now and then. Also, I learned by the end of the process to every few feet of work done, step back and check for spots where it was overly dark or overly light. You want to have an even feeling of different hues and depths, but not splotchy patches of heavy color and splotchy patches of pale color.
If money is not an issue, you may wish to purchase milk paint (also called casein paint) for the white base and beeswax binder for the glaze. This would be great for those with chemical sensitivity too.
Here’s a little Youtube video of me blending in that last color veil… hope you can see the figure eight/infinity swirling motion used to apply the paint.
I’ll post soon with more updates on the room and how it looks when I am done creating a warm and cozy place for us to learn and play. Speaking of learning and playing, I loved this post about Leaving Room for Wonder over at Educated For Love. Hope you enjoy it too!
UPDATE: I hear that the specific Stockmar watercolors (i.e., carmine red, lemon yellow) may be more likely to produce deeper pigments than the Stockmar Colour Circle watercolours… thought I’d pass that info along, although I haven’t had a chance to test this out yet!